Wednesday, September 11

Taking Refuge

refuge |ˈrefˌyoōj; -ˌyoō zh |

nouna condition of being safe or sheltered from pursuit, danger, or trouble :he was forced to take refuge in the French embassy sought refuge indrink.• something providing such shelter the family came to be seen as arefuge from a harsh world.• an institution providing safe accommodations for women who have suffered violence from a husband or partner.ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French, from Latin refugium, from re- ‘back’ fugere flee.’



Once again, a great deal of time has passed since I last logged in to my blog to post artwork or updates.  I have made very little art over these past months, which is extremely unusual for me.  I have resisted pushing myself to create for the sake of creating though.  



There is a great deal of discomfort, for me, in remaining creatively silent.



Sometimes more is to be learned through stillness, choosing inaction.  While making art has been a healing force in my life, and has helped me to make sense of much I've experienced, it had also become easy to work quickly, intuitively, and remain at a comforting surface.



I've needed to go deeper...

I'd like to say that 'I'm back from the depths', and ready to make daily art again.  I itch to!  But there is still more that needs mining.





In facilitating my mining expedition I have joined a workshop that my pal, Donna Iona Drozda, is offering, titled Free To Be Effective.  Click on the title and go to her blog where you can listen to an audio of Iona describing the depths we'll explore together.  Would love to 'see' you there!





16 comments:

  1. Karin, thank you for sharing this... healing as you know is a lifelong, daily practice... changes in form, pace... allowing ourselves time to grieve... get busy... grieve some more... try something new or something old and comfortable... rest... all of this is part of the process. Your art is beautiful as it has always been and it is wonderful that you are taking a workshop with DID... I think of you often... if it wasn't for you I don't think I would have had the courage to start The Healing Womb. Blessings to you my friend on this winding journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, SO good to see this! Your art always inspires, sends me into raptures, it does! Lovely and deep !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so missed your posts and your work... so glad to see you out here in the blogosphere! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. tis a beautiful concept that of seeking, finding, sharing and inspiring refuge...

    your imagery, as always, touches my heart and feels like h'OM'e in my soul.


    Thank you, Karin, for posting the link to 'Free to Be Effective'.
    I look forward to gathering and exploring.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to reconnect and see a little of what is happening for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karin, good to see you. Enjoy your class. Nice to know what is going on with you. Take care. gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karin, the work looks beautiful! The last images of hands and eyes are uncanny; I made very similar- but beaded and sewn! works after my eye injury.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you are back! I hope :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello karin, i join every one else in saying it's nice to be here! take your time, god is in the details. :^)

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to see a blog post, Karin. Your art inspires me, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are here ! How wonderful to know.
    I know the treasures you uncover from your mining work will be brilliant to behold, for your own Soul and for those of us lucky enough to witness.
    Light and love to you, My friend !

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pleasure to connect with you here Karin. Wishing you well as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see that you're remaining mindful... creating in order to journey forth, my friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karin, it's so good to "see" you again! Much love and many cyberhugs to you! Take care of yourself, and make new work when you're ready - not before. I look forward to that time, my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you enjoyed participating with Iona and that much was gleaned from the experience Karin. Please consider yourself officially invited to participate this year's 5th Annual Gratitude (word) Quilt. Instructions (it is very simple) and a link that explains the origin of the word quilt can be found at the top of my blog. In past years there have been participants from every continent except Antarctica.It wouldn't be the same without you:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving your thoughts!